Contributors

Sunday, June 23, 2013

I'm grateful for the invitations to visit Brisbane schools

-->

I’m so grateful for the opportunity to visit schools as an author, sharing my love of books, the writing process and the importance of reading. Some of my visits are paid gigs, some of them are ‘love jobs’ (what others call volunteering). Each though fills me with inspiration, and reminds me of the joy that reading can bring to everyone’s life.

In recent weeks, since my arrival in Brisbane, I’ve had had the good fortune of visiting some wonderful schools. First stop was Bundamba State School I dropped by as part of my role as an Indigenous Literacy Foundation Ambassador to thank the deadly students for raising $400 in 2012 for the ILF through their own Great Book Swap.  These kids were awesome! I loved their enthusiasm and they were so incredibly well behaved and didn’t hassle me for getting lost on the way, arriving a little bit late. Why don’t you get your school to organise a Great Book Swap this year, and see if you can be as deadly as BSS!

 School captains and Library Aide Chris Taege at Budamba State School. Deadly bunch!

 I just love the smiling faces when I hand over the book bags to excited kids!
-->

Another fantastic book initiative I am part of is the Booksin Homes program, and I’m also proud to be an Ambassador for this mob too! Last week I visited Durack State School (also out towards Ipswich) to be part of the book giving assembly for Year 2. When I asked the entire school assembly who liked to read, I was thrilled to see all hands in the air – even some of the teachers raised their hands too. I love seeing the faces of students light up when they receive their book bag filled with gems they’ve been able to choose themselves from the Books in Homes catalogue. These books were generously supported by COMFIN Consulting.

The kids couldn't wait to get into their books as soon as they received them!

Finally, thanks to the Brisbane Catholic Education Office, I was able to spend the day recently with Year 10 students from a range of schools as they prepare for their final leg of secondary education, and head towards reaching their own professional goals in life. I had a blast sharing my own goal-setting journey and hearing about the range of occupations the young people were considering for themselves.

The deadly girls are also creative :)

What a handsome bunch of motivated students!

Ok fellas, let's brainstorm this concept...

No comments: