Wednesday, June 1, 2011

I’m a little bit in love with Melbourne...

I’m fortunate that my professional life takes me to Melbourne a few times a year for speaking engagements, books events and media. During my flying visits there I get to catch up with friends, eat amazing food, sometimes get the chance to shop and often experience the cold I don’t get in Sydney. And yes, I’m even grateful for some extreme weather, just to make use of my scarves and thermal underwear!

I’m grateful for the following during my two night sting last weekend:

1. EMERGING WRITERS’ FESTIVAL: I made my debut at the Wheeler Centre on Friday night, giving a keynote address to a master class of emerging writers. I left that space feeling inspired by those I was meant to be inspiring. I often get the most out of those events I put the most into. Do you find that too? The inspiration continued on Sunday morning when I was blown away by a room full of soon-to-be-authors at the Melbourne Town Hall, who got up came along to hear myself, Julien Leyre, Ryan Paine, Karen Pickering and Dan Ducrou pull apart the pros and cons of being typecast as a writer. I was going to summarise it, but the lovely Angela Meyer did a pretty good job on Crikey and you can read it here.


I’m grateful to Lisa Dempster and the team (Lisa and Meredith above) at the Emerging Writers’ Festival http://www.emergingwritersfestival.org.au/ for the invitation and for taking care of me while there. It was food for my writerly soul!

2. BOOK STREET: No, it’s not a street of books, but a fabulous independent book store in Toorak. I’m grateful to the owner of Book Street, David Marlow for inviting me to drop by to sign some books, and for Belinda from Ballarat who swung by to say hello and grab her own copy of Paris Dreaming (pic below of Belinda and I).


3. JAN GOLDSMITH: I’m truly grateful for broadcaster Jan Goldsmith from 3CR in Melbourne. Jan reads my books with purpose, finds common threads between my titles and her interviews are always fun to do. It was an absolute pleasure to swing my the Fitzroy studio last week, and I’m hoping you will support the 3CR Radiothon June 6-19. That's Jan and I below.


4. DUMPLINGS: That’s right, I’m grateful for dumplings in Melbourne. I know we’ve got them in Sydney but I don’t do dumplings with the girls here. So, I was thrilled when my Melbin girls introduced me to Camy Shanghai Dumpling & Noodle Restaurant in Tattersalls Lane. Apparently it’s an institution, I imagine like BBQ King in Sydney. The service and atmosphere slightly better than the Syd venue though, and the prices, wow, $15 banquet for more dumplings than I’ve ever seen on one table at one time. I’m still working them off!

5. MELBOURNE WEATHER: I wasn’t kidding above. I was grateful it got a little chilly on Sunday, after all, I’d bought a new coat especially for my Victorian visits this year (it’s black cos everything’s gotta be black in Melbin, right?). I would’ve been disappointed if two weekends running I didn’t get to see the famous grey Melbin skies (I even took a pic...).



So, after two fabulous weekends, it’s fair to say I’m a little bit in love with Melbourne, but my heart will always belong to Sydney.

7 comments:

Belinda A Collins said...

Well Melbourne is a lot in love with you Dr Heiss. If I had a key to my city, I'd hand it straight to you - most welcome any time my friend!

Dr Anita Heiss said...

Gee thank you Belinda! I'd be getting that key cut for my friends of course! See you on the next visit to your town. xx

Mrs.Irene Query said...

Are you in need of a loan. Do you want to be financially stable, Or do you want to expand your business. We offer company loan, Auto loan, Business loan,and personal loan at a very reduce interest rate of 3%, with comfortable duration which is negotiable. This offer is open to all that will be able to repay back in due time. Get back to us if interested with our Email:kellywilliawsfinancial@gmail.com


1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
2. Telephone Numbers:……….
3. Address and Location:…….
4. Amount in request………..
5. Repayment Period:………..
6. Purpose Of Loan………….
7. country…………………
8. phone…………………..
9. occupation………………
10.age/sex…………………
11.Monthly Income…………..
12.Email……………..

Regards.
Managements
Email Kindly Contact:kellywilliawsfinancial@gmail.com

funloanfirm said...



Are you in need of a loan? Do you want to pay off your bills? Do you want to be financially stable? All you have to do is to contact us for more information on how to get started and get the loan you desire. This offer is open to all that will be able to repay back in due time. Note-that repayment time frame is negotiable and at interest rate of 3% just email us Abdallah.afandi@financier.com

Dr Purva Pius said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
2. Telephone Numbers:……….
3. Address and Location:…….
4. Amount in request………..
5. Repayment Period:………..
6. Purpose Of Loan………….
7. country…………………
8. phone…………………..
9. occupation………………
10.age/sex…………………
11.Monthly Income…………..
12.Email……………..

Regards.
Managements
Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

Dr Aliu Shadira said...

$$$ GENUINE LOAN WITH LOW INTEREST RATE APPLY $$$
Do you need finance to start up your own business or expand your business, Do you need funds to pay off your debt? We give out loan to interested individuals and company's who are seeking loan with good faith. Are you seriously in need of an urgent loan contact us.

Email: shadiraaliuloancompany1@gmail.com

Osman raheem said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Ahmad Asnul Brunei, I contacted Mr Osman Loan Firm for a business loan amount of $250,000, Then i was told about the step of approving my requested loan amount, after taking the risk again because i was so much desperate of setting up a business to my greatest surprise, the loan amount was credited to my bank account within 24 banking hours without any stress of getting my loan. I was surprise because i was first fall a victim of scam! If you are interested of securing any loan amount & you are located in any country, I'll advise you can contact Mr Osman Loan Firm via email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

LOAN APPLICATION INFORMATION FORM
First name......
Middle name.....
2) Gender:.........
3) Loan Amount Needed:.........
4) Loan Duration:.........
5) Country:.........
6) Home Address:.........
7) Mobile Number:.........
8) Email address..........
9) Monthly Income:.....................
10) Occupation:...........................
11)Which site did you here about us.....................
Thanks and Best Regards.
Derek Email osmanloanserves@gmail.com