Contributors

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Culture, cocktails and Colo(u)r - I'm grateful...

 

MOTHER COURAGE AND HER CHILDREN: One of the highlights of my time here in Brisbane since arriving six weeks ago has been attending the opening night of Mother Courage at the QLD Performing Arts Centre. A translation of Brecht’s work by the very deadly Wesley Enoch (with me above) and the lovely Paula Nazarski, the stage took to life with stellar performances by Ursula Yovich, Luke Carroll, Michael Tuahine, Roxanne McDonald, Eliah Watego, George Bostock, Chenoa Deemal, Robert Preston, David Page, Dave Dow and musical background provided by Mark Atkins. In a week when sporting headlines were about racism, the arts sector in Brisbane at least, was celebrating our finest wordsmiths and actors. And so was I! Thank you all.


PANIYIRI: Once a year Musgrave Park in the month of May, South Brisbane is turned into one big fat Greek festival - Panyiri All you have to know is that you will eat a lot of honey puffs (see above), calamari, haloumi, lamb and other fabulous foods. And you will get the chance to dance, meet new people, accidentally bump into old friends, and even go on rides. My throat is still sore from screaming like a crazy woman on one ride, but I was generously helped from the ride by this lovely fella below!


EL TORITO: Yes, I’m still talking about food! Drove past ElTorito on Boundary Street, West End one night and saw men in sombreros and thought, ‘Yep, that’s my kind of place!’  Unfortunately, the night I went there the fellas were not to be seen, and the space has the personality of a brick, but the food, oh the food, that’s all you need to worry about. Try the burrito de chorizo (soft flour tortilla filled with chorizo, beans, rice, sour cream, salsa fresca, cheese and guacamole). It looks huge and it is, but you will devour the lot because it is sensational. Take a bottle of something with you and some awesome company and you’ll have a ball even without the sombreros!


SLING LOUNGE: There’s nothing like a cocktail or two to start your night out in West End, so head to Sling Lounge  sit out the back amidst the fairy lights and indulge in a martini or margarita or whatever takes your fancy. The service is friendly too!


VAPIANO: I won’t lie to you. I’m not a fan of standing in a queue to order food when I get dressed up to go out on Friday night. But this is one place I must make an exception, because watching the chef prepare your fresh pasta in front of you is part of the dining experience at Vapiano, off Queen Street Mall in the city. And the pizza! Wow, go the calzone just because you can, and if you can fit in the dessert, then the lovely barman will probably influence you to try the tasting plate of tiramisu, panna cotta and crema di fragola. Take a gorgeous date like I did – that’s Davey above – and it will the perfect night out!


THE JETTY: A friendly ferryboat fella recommended I try The Jetty at Bulimba. So I did. The view was fab, as you can see above, and the service was friendly, but the portions were a little small for my belly – in which case they were probably the right size for most people. 
 
 

COLOR RUN: – yes I know that’s not how we spell ‘colour’ but it’s the name of the international run and when you’re raising money for cancer AND having a fabulous time getting fit with friends, then I’m okay with going with the US spelling. I had a ball in the Swisse Color Run on the Gold Coast with sista Louisa – before above, after below – as we were sprayed with orange, blue, green, yellow and pink dust, running a soggy circuit raising funds for the Ponting Foundation

No comments: