Contributors

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Steven Oliver - HATE HE SAID



HATE HE SAID

Hate, he said was in my heart
Hate, he said tore us apart
Hate, he said to let it go
Hate, he said but he did not know
That what I had inside of me
Was a sadness born of empathy
That because I did not celebrate
It did not mean I was full of hate
I asked him to just try and see
Through my eyes the tragedy
Of dispossession, of pain, of hurt
Of the red of blood that stained this earth
I mourn for all the lives that were lost
I mourn for what this country cost
I mourn for how we came to be
For the end does not justify the means
It’s in the past he said, move on
Why mourn for something so long gone?
I looked at him and came to say,
Do you think we should forget about ANZAC day?
It’s not the same was his retort
I said wait a minute, give it some thought

People died while fighting for their land
Defending it from a foreign hand
Make no mistake there was a war
That had been fought on these very shores
A war that didn’t always discriminate
Where the elderly or infants could meet the same fate
As those who fought to protect them so
And that’s why we should never let go
Never forget what price was paid
For us to live as we do today
He looked at me quite seriously
Said he celebrates because we’re free
He celebrates our democracy
And everything great in this country
I said, that’s fine, I get that, it’s clear
Just please don’t forget how we got here
Just take a moment to think it through
What price was paid for me and you
To live in this country as we do
Don’t take for granted the sacrifice
Both of land and of life
We need to remember those who died
Not let their legacy be swept aside
You got an apology, he said
It talked about loss and mentioned the dead

What more do you want? He asked of me,
And so I replied in the hope he would see
We have a day for Australia, the Queen
For New Years and Christmas and all those between
Like Labour and Easter, the ANZAC Parade
And just what the hell is Boxing Day?
There’s even a day that we have for the Shows
But nothing that speaks of my people’s woes
A national day to acknowledge the cause
To acknowledge all that has happened before
And I don’t mean NAIDOC I mean something more
Where the whole nation stops, like it does for a horse!
A day, is that too much to ask?
To remind us, don’t ignore the past
He processed my words and looked at the ground
We both sat in silence, then there was a sound
A sound that seemed like heaven to me
A sound of two words that said, I agree!
We talked some more as the day came to end
And despite our differences I’d made a new friend
He understood as the day came to night
That I needed some things in this country made right
And because I did not celebrate
It did not mean I was full of hate.

© Steven Oliver 24/01/2012

8 comments:

Monica said...

Wow...your poem brought tears and goosebumps. I use the ANZAC notion all the time when talking to 'I'm not racist, but' people; but never so eloquently.

This week my children's school have mentioned nothing of Reconciliation Week, or Sorry Day. But we did get a note home telling us about pioneer week next week. A day to honour and respect, to celebrate Aboriginal Culture will help make a better country for our kids.

Thank you for sharing this.

Deadsoul said...

great informative post! Adobe scene7 is a really usefull aplication which is used by the cloud.

Shuvo,
Clipping Path

jade said...

David played the role in Stratford-upon-Avon and London from 2008-09. He explained the the costume, which was worn during the 'To be or not to be...' read what he said

POKERVITA said...

Kerahasiaan Anda Terjamin
100% Terpercaya,Dan Tidak Diragukan Lagi.
Karena sudah Lebih Dari Ribuan Member kami Yang sudah Membuktikan nya...

Sekarang Giliran Anda yang Harus Membuktikan nya.
HOT PROMO DARI P0KERV1TA untuk para member kami :
* B0nus Referral 20% Seumur Hidup
* Bonus Hariaan Hingga 3juta
* Bonus Bulanan Hadiah Spesial untuk member yang bermain selama 1 bulan penuh
* Bonus Turn0ver 0,5%
* NO ROBOT & ADMIN
* 100% Fair Play Member Vs Member
* Proses Withdraw & Deposit Tercepat
* Customer Service yang baik dan ramah
Agen Poker Terpercaya
BONUS CASHBACK

Contact Us Person :
? LIVECHAT P`O`K`E`R`V`1`T`A
? WA: 082312256064
? BBM : D88B0154

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing the lyrics to this poem. I am using it as a poem study for my class. Hits a few crucial points in the Australian Curriculum.

How doctor olu help me to increase my penis size said...

Hello everyone, am very happy to share this little awesome testimony about Dr olu a great herbal doctor who help me enlarge my penis size.3.2 cm to 8.3 cm longer with his herbal cream mixture, my girlfriend is now so amazed with the autonomous size of my penis , if you you are also in need of help on how to enlarge your penis to become bigger and stronger I adverse you to contact Dr on his email (drolusolutionhome@gmail.com) ) you or contact on whatsapp number +2348140654426 because he is one of the best herbal doctor that i can only show you up to, if your penis is 4.2 cm and want to get it reach 9.2 cm within three weeks i Dr olu is also specialized on obey m breast and boobs enlargement i advise you to contact him for help

ONLY DR AZIBA CAN HELP YOU ENLARGE YOUR SMALL PENIS SIZE AND ERECT said...

I know this could be disrespectful and shameful to me but i would still share my testimony with you all whom would also need same help, i got married to my wife 5 years ago and till this moment we could not have a child because my Penis was too small to perform and could not erect, this almost cost me my marriage, i wept in close door, no help coming , so i went online for a helpful research and i came across a review written about DR. AZIBA who prepares PENIS ENLARGEMENT PRODUCT and his contact details where also written on how he prepares root and herb natural product to help grow penis , so i applied and he send it to my address and instruct me on how to use, within the period of (7days) my penis is already grown from 3:5 to 8:5 and DR made it known to me that i can stop when am satisfied with the result, my dear friends this is worth celebrating and sharing with my fellow men same goes to women, i will write down his contact details so you all can contact the DR as well.
WhatsApp: +2348100368288
Email: Priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com
Good luck

Justin Bieber said...

Really trash get a life bald head
Nah I'm joking you look really beautiful and your poem is extremely great.
It is also inspiring as many people celebrate one event but forget about the other important events like rememberance day.