As Co-Chair of the Expert Panel for the Constitutional Recognition of Indigenous Australians, Professor Dodson told the audience that now is the time to make change. That as Australians we can achieve it if we want it. It’s in our hands to make Constitutional change to recognise Indigenous Australians and to have a non-discrimination clause included in our founding document. Adding, that the recognition of Aboriginal people as the First Peoples – with rights and responsibilities – causes alarm for some Australians. ‘The world must think we are crazy,’ he said, when considering our current constitution.
- “Be the change you want to see in the world.”
- “Whenever you have truth it must be given with love, or the message and the messenger will be rejected.”
- “You can chain me, you can torture me, you can even destroy this body, but you will never imprison my mind.”
- "Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
- "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."