Saturday, February 20, 2010
What I'm grateful for February 20...
1. THE EAGLES: I’ve been re-acquainting myself with the band over long morning walks. I mean I’ve been listening to their music, not like I’m walking with the band, oh, you know what I mean. I’ve been pounding the pavement to old favourites like ‘Take it Easy’, ‘Tequila Sunrise’, ‘Take it to the Limit’ and ‘Heartache Tonight’ to name a few. What I’d forgotten is just how long their songs go for...’Hotel California’ goes for over six minutes. I’m grateful for the tunes that bring back memories of the 70s when I was in primary school!
2. TARA JUNE WINCH: She’s an inspiration, check out her website. I’m grateful that she’s off to New York for a while. It makes me happy that at least someone I know is enjoying the city that never sleeps. Ok ok, so I’m probably more jealous than grateful!
3. NIGHTS ON THE COUCH: Being on the road so much – and I’m about to do Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane, Wollongong and Melbourne in the next Month – I am grateful for nights at home on the couch in front of the telly. It’s like suburban heaven to me.
4. IN THE LOOP: Saw the movie today, absolutely hilarious if you don’t mind some cursing. I was grateful for the laugh – and for hearing Robynne’s laugh at the same time. The film totally satirises the British and US administrations and their consideration of going to war. We saw it at the Orpheum at Cremorne, which is a revamped art deco theatre. I like it there, but the Cremorne only had choc tops in one flavour. Sorry, THREE flavours at the Randwick Ritz. Yes, it IS a competition!
5. BANANAS: I’m grateful for the yellow fruit because it’s so versatile – I whack them in the blender for a smoothie, throw one in my bag for an arvo snack, and slice one on my porridge for brinner (that’s a combined breakfast / dinner). They’re full of vitamins B6 and C)and fibre.