Contributors

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

What I’m grateful for August 10...



1. ILP: I’m grateful for the book industry – publishers, booksellers and authors – who come together nationally on Sept 1 to raise awareness and funds for the Indigenous Literacy Project I’m proud to be an Indigenous Literacy Day Ambassador and will be doing events in Sydney, Brisbane and Canberra (to see where and when, please see my website). There’s going to be events all around the country near YOU. On August 22 there’s the Songs for Stories concert in Melbourne with lead acts including Dan Sultan and his band and Ursula Yovich. In Sydney on August 25 there’s the I HEART ART auction to raise funds. Come along and I’ll see you there. Another way you can participate is to organise your own Great Book Swap at your workplace or school. Even easier is to simply buy a book from a participating bookstore on September 1st because on that day booksellers and publishers donate 5% or more of their sales to the project. To find out which bookstores in your area support the Indigenous Literacy Project, click here.
2. RANDOM ACTS OF KINDNESS: Today I was actually grateful for the opportunity to enact two acts myself today. I feel like I’m on a hattrick!
3. AMANDA HAYMEN: Amanda is a visual artist who also curates window displays at kuril dhagun - Indigenous Knowledge Centre at the State Library of Queensland. When I was at the SLQLD in March for the Manhattan Art Party, Amanda presented me with a wonderful piece of work – see above. I love how she has captured the politics, art and glamour of my latest book Manhattan Dreaming, set in Canberra. The picture finally made it’s way to my office today and I’m grateful not only for the gift of such a stunning piece, but also that it gives me inspiration to write. Thanks Amanda.
4. TIFFANY CAKES: I can’t believe I haven’t stumbled upon these before, but apparently you can get Tiffany cakes. It’s usually a wedding cake, but I’ll take the birthday version thank you very much. The pic above is just one version but simply Google image yourself and you will be visually delighted, as I was. I’m grateful to Emma Joel for enlightening me to the possibilities and to my sister for promising to get me one.
5. THE STEPPER: I’m grateful for the opportunity to climb stairs for twenty minutes and get absolutely nowhere.

No comments: