Contributors

Monday, May 10, 2010

What I'm grateful for May 6...



1. MULTI-TASKING: RQ and I flew to Cairns this morning, and we were like kids on a school excursion we were so excited. But I was more impressed with - or grateful for –our combined abilities to multi-task. While RQ worked on significant government policy documents, I worked on character breakdowns for my next book, but we also managed at the same time to watch the movie Invictus, talk to each other about everything from leadership to hair products, and eat our trays of QANTAS airline food. The girls had it all going on.
2. SOUL-TWIN: RQ is my ‘soul-twin’, a new term given to me by a journo who interviewed me about friendship recently. I’m really grateful for RQ who I can easily travel with. I’m not used to being around someone else 24/7, so sharing a hotel room with anyone could go either way. With RQ and I traveling is all laughter – and quite a lot of shopping, too many sweet things and countless cups of tea. Pic of RQ and I above.
3.CairnsFM 89.1: I’m grateful to Marcus Smith (pic above) and Marky G for their invitation to yarn up today on their Indigenous program. I couldn’t believe the research they’d done, uncovering the fact that a long, long time ago before I even thought about being a writer, I worked in a chicken shop. They were so prepared for the interview I’m thinking about hiring them as my own researchers!
4. BAYLEAF RESTAURANT: We all know I like food, no secret there. And so I’m always grateful for the experience of new restaurants, especially with old friends. Tonight my tidda Jake took us to Bayleaf in Cairns for a Balinese banquet. The food was plentiful, the service was spot on and the stories flowed. I just wished we’d manage to eat the entire 12 courses! Next time we’ll prepare by eating nothing for three days beforehand...
5. JAKE’S HOUSE: I was grateful for the opportunity to check out my old friend’s new house. I don’t mean she’s old, I mean I’ve had her as a friend for a long time, you know what I mean. I felt inspired by Jake’s new home. It’s kind of like the one I’d like to have when I reach some serious writerly success, or when I grow up – whichever comes first!

2 comments:

groovyvirgochick said...

I love that green dress.

Dr Anita Heiss said...

Me too, very groovy 'resort wear' we called it!