Contributors

Friday, April 23, 2010

What I'm grateful for April 20...

1. PASSIONATE YOUNG PEOPLE: I started working with some gifted and talented Koori kids in south-western Sydney today. We’re going to produce an anthology of their writing. I am grateful today for their passion for the project and for reminding me how much I love my culture and my job!
2. LIBRARIANS: I think librarians and teacher /librarians are the bomb. Actually, after giving a keynote address to 900 teacher/librarians back in 2006 I was convinced to leave academia and become a full-time writer so I could do more projects working with students in schools. I wanted to be around this group of people who loved their work and were generally very calm. I’m grateful today specifically for the assistance by the library staff who ensured my workshop ran smoothly and effectively.
3. FAMILY: Someone said to me recently ‘A family that eats together, stays together.’ I’m grateful that all through my childhood and teenage years that we all sat down to dinner together every night, and only as we got older did a television go on. Even now, dinner at Mum’s with my siblings and nieces and nephews is one of the highlights of my life.
4. MANNERS: I’m grateful for people who have good manners. The rest of you, you annoy me!
5. THE M5: I’m serious, I’m grateful for the M5 because it takes me only 25 minutes to get to south-western Sydney and out to East Hills instead of the 45 minutes it used to take. And I might add, I’m always travelling against the traffic, thank you very much.

No comments: