Contributors

Friday, December 28, 2012

My 52 books in 52 weeks for the National Year of Reading!


This year, as a National Ambassador for the Year of Reading, I set myself a goal: to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Let me tell you straight up, I am a v-e-r-y-s-l-o-w -r-e-a-d-e-r! So it was a challenge! Admittedly, many of the titles below are children's books, but not all. There's also lot of quality Australian novels in this list, and I do hope you check them out. I've used a bit of a code because I know there are many looking for certain titles. So, hope it helps.

Australian Women Writers are in PINK

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Writers are in BLUE!

1. THE BOUNDARY, by Nicole Watson.
 
2. JUST KIDS, by Patti Smith
 
2. STELLA MAKES GOOD, by Lisa Heidke 
 
4. SOUTHERLY - A HANDFUL OF SAND: words to the frontline ed by Ali Cobby Eckermann and Lionel Fogarty
 
5. UBBY'S UNDERDOGS: The Legend of the Phoenix Dragon, by Brenton E McKenna
 
6. NJUNJUL THE SUN, by Boori Monty Pryor and Meme McDonald
 
7. VIOLIN LESSONS, by Arnold Zable
 
8. UNPOLISHED GEM, by Alice Pung
 
9. THE GRUMPY LIGHTHOUSE, by Terrizita Corpus and Maggie Prewett
 
10. THE MARK OF THE WARGAL, Lorna Little and Janice Lyndon
 
11. FLY TRAP, by Boori Monty Pryor and Meme McDonald
 
12. JUST THE SKIN YOU'RE LIVIN' IN, by Gayle Kennedy and Ross Carnsew
 
13. JALI BOY, by Ricky Macourt 
 
14. THE CHAINSAW FILE, by Bruce Pascoe
 
15. JINDAH MURRAY WIND DANCER, by Fiona Wirrer-George Oochunyung
 
16. DINGO'S TREE, by Gladys Milroy and Jill Milroy 
 
17. MAMANG, by Kim Scott, Iris Woods and the Wirlomin Noongar Language & Stories Project
 
18. NOONGAR MAMBATA BAKITJ,   Kim Scott, Lomas Roberts and the Wirlomin Noongar Language & Stories Project

19. SEA HEARTS, by Margo Lanagan
 
20. THE FAMILY LAW, by Benjamin Law
 
21. FALL GIRL, by Toni Jordan
 
22. LIFE IN SEVEN MISTAKES, by Susan Johnson
 
23. ANIMAL PEOPLE, Charlotte Woods
 
24. AFTER THE FALL, Kylie Ladd 
 
25. GRACE BESIDE ME, Sue McPherson 

26. MY 100 LOVERS, Susan Johnson
 
27. MARNGROOK: THE LONG AGO STORY OF AUSSIE RULES, By Titta Secombe / Illustrated by Grace Fielding

28: VULLAH VUNNAH NAH: http://anitaheissblog.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/review-vullah-vunnah-nah-gunditjmara.html

29: RUBY MOONLIGHT by Ali Cobby Eckermann 
 
30. MY HOME IN BROOME, Tamzyne Richardson and Bronwyn Houston.
 
31. MAZING GRACE, by Dylan Coleman
 
32. YOU'LL BE SORRY WHEN I'M DEAD, Marieke Hardy
 
33. ONE LONG THREAD, Belinda Jeffrey
 
34. THE MARY SMOKE BOYS, Patrick Holland
 
35. DEADLY READERS series, Magabala Books 
 
36. HOT LIKE FIRE, Sherrice Thomas
 
37. From Little Things Big Things Grow / Solid Rock / Black Fella WhiteFella /  My Island Home - published by One Day Hill

38. FANTOME ISLAND, by Kathy Gibson and Jack Bell
 
39. JUST LIKE THAT AND OTHER POEMS, by Charmaine Papertalk-Green

40. Micky O - Determination. Hard Work. And a Little Bit of Magic. by Michael O'Loughlin with Jim Main
 
41. LOOKING FOR BULLIN BULLIN by Brenda Saunders

42. TWO GREEKS, by John Charalambous
 
43. THE ONLY CONSTANT, by Robyne Young

44. FISHING FOR TIGERS by Emily Macguire

45. COURTING SAMIRA by Amal Awad 
 
46. INDIGO SOLVES THE PZULZE, by Wendy Fitzgerald and Sophie Norsa
 
47. BEIJING TAI TAI, Tania McCartney

48. TWO MATES, by Melanie Prewett / Illustrated by Maggie Prewett
 
49.  BUBBAY: A CHRISTMAS ADVENTURE, by Josie Wowalla and illustrated by Fern Martins
 
50. THE SUGARBAG, Written by Nola Turner-Jensen / Illustrated by Dub Leffler 
 
51. SOLID ROCK, Puli Kunpunka (Sacred Ground), by Shane Howard. Pitjantjatjara translation by Ruby James and Trevor Adamson. Illustrated by kids from Mutitjulu, Kaltukatjara and Imanpa with paintings by Peter Hudson
 
52. FROM LITTLE THINGS BIG THINGS GROW: the story of an East Timorese Primary School 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You're inspirational

Cathy said...

Yeah Anita. You did it :-)

Unknown said...

that is a ridiculously impressive list! And effort! I love reading and am quite a quick reader but I doubt I read 52 books last year. some goodies on your list I'm keen to try too

Dr Anita Heiss said...

Thank you S Othman. Much appreciated.

Hey Cathy, I did, but I don't know if I can do it again this year :)

Mel - I am a very slow reader and many of them are kids books but they were all sitting and waiting here to be read :)

Thank you Atta - plenty more posts to come.

Happy New Year everyone!

kate said...

As a sign of gratitude for how my wife was saved from myeloma, i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
My wife suffered myeloma in the year 2016 and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because she was my all and the symptoms were terrible, she always complain of bone pain, and she always have difficulty falling asleep . we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure her. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many other with similar body problem, and they left the contact of this doctor who had the cure to myeloma . I never imagined myeloma has a natural cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my wife will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my wife used it and in one months time she was fully okay even up till this moment she is so full of life. myeloma has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098675@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks admin for such an informative blog.