Contributors

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Humbled, honoured, grateful... CWA NSW!



To celebrate their 90th year, the Country Women's Association of NSW recognised a number of women and men for their contribution to rural communities. What a surprise it was to receive a message informing me that as part of the celebrations, I was to be made an Honorary Member of the CWA of NSW.

In a morning ceremony also celebrating their 3rd CWA Awareness Day, I met an extraordinary group of women from across the state (representing some of the 400 branches) and learned more about the support network provided to women, which – aside from baking scones - aims to raise awareness of local issues, many of an agricultural and environmental nature.

I was thrilled to stand alongside fellow honorary membership recipients (pictured above): John Fairfax AO, CWA State President Mrs. Elaine Armstrong, Ian McNamara ABC Radio, Victoria Carey Editor Country Style Magazine, Anne Sargeant, yours truly, Danica Leys NSW Rural Women of the year and Captain Clyde Thomson Executive Director Royal Flying Doctors. Missing on the day were David Peachey (ex-NRL player and founder of the David Peachey Foundation), Ms Pip Courtney (ABC Landline host) and John Dwyer (General Manager of The Land newspaper).

CWA State President Mrs. Elaine Armstrong
For a city-slicker like me it was indeed an honour to receive my honorary membership and I’m grateful for the recognition for some of the work (if you can call it that!) I’ve done in rural NSW. I’ve got some more ideas now for my next novel, which is partially set in Mudgee!

No comments: