Contributors

Sunday, June 20, 2010

What I'm grateful for June 19:



1. TARA BROWNER: Tara is a Professor of Ethnomusicology and American Indian Studies at UCLA, and we first met at a women’s heritage meeting at UNESCO in Paris back in 2003. The only two http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifIndigenous women in the room, we both were passionate about our issues as well as seeing the city at large in our few days post the gathering. Today Tara showed me some of her LA. Brunch in Beverly Hills, some window shopping on Wilshire Bvd and a tour of Tara’s place of employ. The visit actaully made me miss (for the first time since leaving) my academic life.The feeling soon wore off as I lay by the pool later in the afternoon.
1. JACK’N’JILLS: This is the place for brunch in BH. I had the High Protein Scamble and a buttermilk biscuit – which we’d call a scone! Delish. Totally recommend this bakery and cafe for it’s fresh tasty food, good coffee and pleasant service. The owner was there amongst it all also, assuring service was as it should be. Check out some of the reviews here.
2. PRETTY WOMAN: I loved the movie and felt a little Julia Roberts (sans prositution) as I strolled along Rodeo Drive today. I felt like I was spending money just looking in the windows. I didn’t buy anything, rather waited till I went to UCLA and grabbed myself a hoodie!
3. PANCHOS: One of the best nights out I’ve had in years. Panchos at Manhattan Beach – had to go there just cos of the suburb’s name – prides itself on the low turnover of staff. I was waited on my three different waiters who’d worked at Panchos for 29, 30 and 32 years. Extraordinary! The food was the best Mexican I’ve ever had while the tequila menu blew me away. Check it out here! I tried three... I think! Margaritas never tasted so good, really good, and I’m grateful also to Jose the drinks manager for doing his job, and managing my drinks!
4. DAY AFTER DAZE: Partying in Panchos bar afterwards while listening to the deadly coverband Day After Daze just topped off a sensational day. You can check them out on YouTube. Thanks Dawn for introducing me to Laura and Laura for intro-ing me to Panchos. Loved it! Just wish I knew who all the fellas are in the pics we took!

No comments: