Sunday, January 24, 2010
What I'm grateful for this weekend:
1. SONIA’S GREEN THUMB: I’m grateful today for Sonia’s green thumb. She is a gem with gardening. Me? I pretty much have NO thumbs when it comes to gardening. Let’s just say I’m probably the only person on the planet who can kill cactus / cacti. Today we created a mini-garden on my balcony. I now have orchids, gerberas, roses, gardenias, mint, thyme, Italian parsley, basil and something else that has stripy petals. Oh, and two cacti that I’m going to try and keep alive. See before and after shots above and Sonia.
2. SONIA’S COOKING SKILLS: I’ve had a productive weekend. I also managed to cook my first roast chicken. Yes, I am 41 and haven’t done it before. And I only just realised it’s so easy. Buy organic chicken. Shove lemon up butt, thyme under skin. Stick in oven with Pontiac potatoes. 25 mins per 500 gm. And voila. It was delicious. I feel like I achieved something great - all with Sonia's supervision. Next year I might try doing a leg of lamb.
3. PAVILION CAFE: I have a lot of my business meetings at the Pavilion Cafe at Maroubra Beach. I don’t plug in my lap top or anything, but I meet clients etc there as opposed to my rather bland office space. It’s a stunning place to start the day, for work or play. Today I had brekkie there as the rain drizzled and the little Nippers were running on the sand. I thought they’d call Nippers off, but as Sonia pointed out – if they’re going to be lifesavers of course they’ll be lifesaving in the rain one day. As I sat there eating my chilli eggs I was overcome with a sense of how grateful I am generally for my life. And how there was no better way to start Sunday than at my favourite beach in the whole world with a friend of 18 years.
4. BUNNINGS: I love Bunnings. I loitered around the building supplies and dreamed, checked out all the boys doing the same, and sucked in the smell of the BBQ out the front. Oh, I also bought my plants for the challenge mentioned above. I was grateful for the incredibly helpful / knowledgeable Bunning’s staffer who helped me choose some colour for my balcony.
5. BRAN NUE DAE : I saw the musical in Sydney and Canberra back in the early 1990s and loved the soundtrack then. Tonight I saw the film. It is a gem! Truly. It must be the feel-good film of 2010. Loved the humour, and am grateful for its uplifting ability. Special appreciation for our newest star Rocky McKenzie – GORGEOUS!!!